Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1939

A movie for my Easter Saturday morning.

I had seen the cartoon before. But it was never as astonishing as acted by real persons. My heart was heavy as lead throughout. Fate was so cruel to Quasimodo. Hence, he asked a statue at the end seeing his love leaving, "Why was I not made of stone, like thee?" Esmeralda's beauty seemed to be the cause of all the fights and kills. Gringoire v Phoebus is indeed a representation of many men in the world - with power, ideals, choice of love and way of love ............

The Church, the King, the nobles and the commons. Love, madness of the crowd, selfishness, despair, the sacred and the evil. Stark yet lavish sets.

The production was grand even by today's scale. I learn that the movie had not sticked to Victor Hugo's plot totally.

No comments: